MilkPEP is helping the industry ‘navigate this unprecedented time’
Actions include a new effort to strengthen milk’s positive sentiment, creation of a resource guide for milk brands, and more.
Retail purchasing behavior has shifted dramatically in recent weeks. As part of that shift, Americans have embraced milk — a staple already in 94% of homes — even more so than they typically do, according to the Washington, D.C.-based Milk Processors Education Program (MilkPEP).
In fact, in just the last two weeks in March, Americans purchased 44 million more gallons than in a typical two-week period, up 30% in gallon sales from typical sales, MilkPEP said, citing data from IRI MULO-C. In a quick survey of moms during that time period, nearly three quarters said that milk was considered their “must have,” ranking higher than foods such as eggs, bread and vegetables.
MilkPEP said it has worked quickly to help the industry navigate this unprecedented time in the short term, while assessing long-term implications. Immediate actions include launching a new effort designed to strengthen this positive sentiment by reinforcing the industry’s commitment to getting milk to all Americans during this time, and creating a new resource guide with news, analysis, marketing guidance and resources for milk brands.
To help support the millions of Americans who are turning to milk in their time of need, MilkPEP said it and America’s milk companies will:
- Extend an ongoing partnership with Feeding America to help deliver much-needed essentials such as milk to Americans across the nation. Milk is one of the most requested, but least donated items at America’s food banks. Since 2014, Feeding America, the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization, and the MilkPEP dairy community have together delivered more than 33 million servings of fresh milk to children and families who need it most.
- Run new advertising content to thank the people behind the product, from farmers to truckers, who are working hard to make sure milk makes it to American’s tables.
MilkPEP said its efforts include:
TV and digital content starting on April 6:
- The “Milk. Love What’s Real campaign” highlighting the important, meaningful and often-overlooked moments milk plays a role in for so many families. MilkPEP sought to highlight moments of warmth, connection, comfort and nutrition as milk is integral to so many of these real moments.
- In “From All of Us” (https://youtu.be/QS9BA-B7R74), MilkPEP shines a light on and thanks all the people behind the gallon who are still working every day to bring nutrition, comfort, familiarity and tastiness into Americans’ homes every day.
- “Good Stuff” (https://youtu.be/yIxW5VymTM4) shows that whether it’s the all-too-real feeling of an overwhelmed dad working from home who is taking a break to laugh over a glass of milk with his son, or families and siblings finding ways to connect and pass the time over making more snacks, meals and recipes at home, milk is a dependable and familiar part of all these moments.
- New content and support for Feeding America’s increased needs. For donations made to Feeding America in April at www.MilkLife.com/give, MilkPEP will match every dollar up to $100,000 to help ensure even more families receive the nutrition they deserve.
- Continued resources focused on activities for kids, at-home workouts and tasty recipes using milk.
Support for e-commerce milk purchases:
- MilkPEP will be supporting retailer needs as more Americans turn to e-commerce for milk than ever before.