Iconic launches Grass Fed Federation
The federation calls attention to the importance of animal welfare in ingredient sourcing.
Iconic, a protein drink manufacturer based in Santa Monica, Calif., said it spearheaded the Grass Fed Federation, a collection of brands that prioritize the humane treatment of animals that are raised for food. Iconic is launching the federation with founding members that include Fourth & Heart, Epic Provisions, Chomps , and Tribalí Foods , all of which met the strict supply chain standards to be accepted.
Billy Bosch, CEO and founder of Iconic, had a vision for the federation as he found a sea of brands claiming “grass fed” with little to no substantiation.
“When I see someone claiming 100% grass fed, I can almost guarantee it’s not accurate,” he said. “How can brands be so cavalier on statements they can’t support? It’s incredibly frustrating as a consumer and brand owner.”
The Grass Fed Federation aims to raise awareness around animal welfare issues in the food system, and build an ecosystem of brands that abide by a higher level of standards for animal treatment, the company said.
“Our commitment to sourcing only the purest ingredients for our products aligns with the Grass Fed Federation ethos of providing the best offerings to consumers while doing what’s right by animals,” said Bosch. “I went all the way to Ireland to find grass-fed cows with our farming partners there that have one of the highest standards of treatment and ingredient quality on the planet. It’s exciting and encouraging to find other brands that source here in the U.S. and abroad to partner with.”
To participate in the Grass Fed Federation, brands must agree to the following:
- To solely source cow byproducts from cows that are pasture raised, and get their nutrition from grass, at least 75% of the time.
- To partner with and source from farms that abide by strict animal welfare standards in the overall wellbeing of the animals.
- To have an annual third-party verification regarding animal welfare standards.
- To always have cattle on pasture.
- To not have feedlots.
- To maintain pasture with a minimum 75% cover.
- To meet specific requirements for management practices such as weaning and castration.
Iconic said it set out to create the federation as a way to aide consumers in their shopping journeys. In a world with infinite options and brand messages coming from all angles, “consumers can turn to the Grass Fed Federation as a resource for brands they can genuinely trust.”