Leaders of Dairy Management Inc. (DMI), the National Dairy Promotion and Research Board (NDB) and the United Dairy Industry Association (UDIA) announced election results to lead national dairy checkoff strategies and programs to protect and grow sales.
Dairy checkoff leaders elected their officers at the 2019 Joint Annual Meeting of the NDB, UDIA and National Milk Producers Federation in New Orleans, Rosemont, Ill.-based DMI said.
“I’m honored to join farmers from across the country and work together to create a successful future for dairy farmers and U.S. dairy,” said Marilyn Hershey, a farmer from Cochranville, Pa., who was re-elected as chair of DMI. “The board and elected officers represent our partnership to fund, govern and lead the dairy checkoff program.”
DMI, which manages the national checkoff program, is co-funded by NDB and UDIA. In addition to Hershey, other DMI officers elected were:
- Vice chair: Steve Maddox, Riverdale, Calif.
- Secretary: Skip Hardie, Groton, N.Y.
- Treasurer: Deb Vander Koi, Worthington, Minn.
- The NDB also elected the following officers:
- Chair: Brad Scott, San Jacinto, Calif.
- Vice chair: Connie Seefeldt, Coleman, Wisc.
- Secretary: Arlene Vander Eyk, Tulare, Calif.
- Treasurer: Alex Peterson, Trenton, Mo.
The 37-member NDB, formed in May 1984 under the authority of the Dairy Production Stabilization Act of 1983, carries out coordinated promotion and research programs to help build demand and expand domestic and international markets for dairy products. DMI said the UDIA officers elected include:
- Chair: Neil Hoff, Windthorst, Texas
- 1st vice chair: Allen Merrill, Parker, S.D.
- 2nd vice chair, American Dairy Association: Tom Woods, Gage, Okla.
- 2nd vice chair, National Dairy Council; Audrey Donahoe, Clayville, N.Y.
- 2nd vice chair, UDIA member relations: Rick Podtburg, Greeley, Colo.
- Secretary: Michelle Schilter, Chehalis, Wash.
- Treasurer: John Brubaker, Buhl, Idaho
The UDIA is a federation of state and regional dairy farmer-funded promotion organizations that provide marketing programs developed and implemented in coordination with its members. The UDIA is overseen by a board comprised of dairy farmers elected by respective local and regional boards of UDIA member organizations, DMI said. American Dairy Association officers elected were:
- Chair: Tom Woods
- Vice chair: Jerrel Heatwole, Greenwood, Del.
- Secretary: Lowell Mueller, Hooper, Neb.
- Treasurer: Corby Werth, Alpena, Mich.
- National Dairy Council officers elected were:
- Chair: Audrey Donahoe
- Vice chair: Christine Sukalski, Leroy, Minn.
- Secretary Harold Howrigan, Sheldon, Vt.
- Treasurer: Lynn Ramsey, Emory, Texas