S&D Coffee & Tea, Concord, N.C., received eight awards in the recent iced tea class competition presented by the North American Tea Championship (NATC), in the BIB (bag-in-box) category. S&D teas have received first place awards in five out of the past six national iced tea competitions.
The iced tea class is divided into categories according to market application and sales channel: ready-to-drink, foodservice and instant. Each category is then separated into sub-categories to represent popular products currently being sold in the marketplace. S&D was honored in the foodservice category with the following awards:
- First place in the BIB Black-Sweetened category for its Teafinity Sweet Black
- First place in the BIB Green-Flavored category for its Teafinity Low-Calorie Pomegranate Green
- Second place in the Green-Flavored category for its RAC Citrus Green-Open Brew
- Second place in the BIB Black-Flavored category for its Teafinity Peach Black
- Second place in the BIB Green-Flavored category for its Teafinity Pomegranate Green All-in-One Concentrate
- Third place in the BIB Green-Flavored category for its Teafinity Honey Green All-in-One Concentrate
- Third place in the BIB Black-Flavored category for its Teafinity Raspberry Black
- Third place in the Black-Flavored category for RAC Mango Black
NATC is an independent competition. Iced teas were evaluated June 11-12, 2015, at Wilbur Curtis corporate headquarters in Los Angeles, and NATC’s judging panel of professional cuppers assessed each submission based on a blind sensory analysis of five characteristics: flavor, body, color, clarity and balance. The ratings of each characteristic were used to calculate an overall numerical value on a 100-point scale, and winners were determined by rank. For more information and a complete list of winners, visit www.teachampionship.com/index.php/iced-tea-class.