Internationally renowned experts ranging from top dairy researchers and processors to leading health and nutritional specialists are presenting at the 2005 International Whey Conference in Chicago this month The conference, which ran Sept. 11-14, will be co-hosted by the American Dairy Products Institute (ADPI), and the European Whey Products Association (EWPA) in partnership with top international dairy consumer goods companies, including NEXT Proteins, Kraft Foods, the U.S. Dairy Export Council, and the Fonterra Co-operative Group.
"We are proud to present a roster of such distinguished researchers, food and beverage professionals, and health experts at the IWC," said James J. Page, CEO of ADPI. "We expect this conference to be a valuable resource for all attendees as our speakers present the latest research on whey protein, its promising role in health and nutrition, and new uses in consumer products."
The agenda of the IWC was to focus on three categories: health and nutrition, processing, and consumer applications. Sessions and topics on whey protein will include the following:
• Anabolic effects of whey after exercise: Dr. Robert Wolfe, University of Texas, Medical Branch
• Weight management in whey component: Dr. Michael Zemel, University of Tennessee
• Improving recovery from extensive exercise; whey's protein quality to include post absorption utilization: Dr. Alison Darragh, Fonterra Co-operative Group Ltd, Palmerston North, New Zealand
• Effects of whey protein in weight loss, glucose and lipid metabolism in type 2 diabetic women: Dr. Kasim Karakas, University of California, Davis
• The effects of whey on subjective and physiological measures of satiety: Wendy Blom, TNO Quality of Life, Zeist the Netherlands
• Developing best practice in whey processing: Dr. Paul Signal, Fonterra Co-operative Group
• Improving agglomeration of whey protein products; techniques and simulation: Ruud Verdurmen, NIZO Food Research, the Netherlands
• The ultimate raw material for innovative food products: Dr. Ernst Reimerdes, German Institute for Food Technology
• Functional attributes of whey for the development of nutritional bars: Starla Paulsen, Glanbia Nutritionals
• Factors determining taste and stability of acidic whey protein beverages: Dr. Allen Foegeding, North Carolina State University
• New developments in confectionary applications: Dr. Jorge Bouzas, Hershey Foods Corporation