Peanut butter, protein-packed jerky and smoke in unexpected places are the next “big things” in food, according to a panel of trendspotters at the Summer Fancy Food Show held June 29 to July in New York.
Food scientists working at dairies and related companies might find that some of these flavors and ingredients work well in milk-based foods and beverages.
The Jacob Javits Convention Center was filled with the latest chocolates, cheeses, charcuterie and snack foods from 2,730 specialty food companies representing 49 countries.
Here are the top five trends identified by the trendspotters, along with examples from exhibitors.
Summer Fancy Food Show trend 1. Spread the Cookie Love
- Dave's Gourmet -- Oatmeal Cookie Butter
- Gooey on the Inside -- Fluffernana Cookie Butter
- Amoretti -- Graham Cracker Natural Cookie Spread
Summer Fancy Food Show trend 2. Smoked Signals
- Quin Smoked Cola Gum Drops
- Rick's Picks – Smokra
- Hot Cakes Molten Chocolate Cakery – Smoked Chocolate Chips
Summer Fancy Food Show trend 3. Bourbon Boosted
- Batch – Brown Sugar Bourbon & Pecan Ice Cream
- Brooklyn Brine Co. – Spicy Maple Bourbon Pickle
- Bourbon Barrel Foods – Bourbon Smoked Sugar
Summer Fancy Food Show trend 4. Chew on This
- SlantShack Jerky – Bronx Brewery Pale Ale Jerky
- Ocean Beauty Seafoods – Wild Salmon Jerky
- Field Trip Jerky – Crushed Chilies No. 19 Turkey Jerky
Summer Fancy Food Show trend 5. Modern Matcha
- The Republic of Tea – Matchia
- Teapigs – Organic Matcha
- Ito En – Matcha Love ready-to-drink tea
Other trends spotted include modern mayonnaise, even more twists on popcorn, new takes on yogurt (such as beet and sheep's milk) and a next wave of seaweed snacks. Trends from past Fancy Food Shows with staying power include coconut, sriracha, ancient grains, healthier snack chips and innovation in gluten-free items.
The trendspotters are magazine editors, newspaper reporfters and other food journalists. The Specialty Food Association consists of food artisans, importers and entrepreneurs.