Focused on solutions for a healthier future, visitors to Cargill's booth at the 2013 Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Food Expo in July in Chicago, learned more about how the company's solutions and technical expertise can enable more nutritious kid-friendly foods and beverages and more sustainable supply chains.
With a holistic approach in applying its broad ingredient portfolio and formulation expertise, Cargill food scientists have developed great tasting kid-friendly foods and beverages that contain less sodium, sugar and fat, and more whole grains, fiber and protein in accordance with specific childhood nutrition standards. Many of the prototypes may also allow for claims that are important to parents as they make food and beverage choices for their kids:
• Whole grain chocolate chip cookie, featuring Horizon Milling WheatSelect white spring whole wheat flour, Clear Valley shortening, Safar modified food starch, Truvia stevia leaf extract, Oliggo-Fiber chicory root fiber, and WilburS833 semisweet chocolate drops, delivers a great-tasting treat that meets the Children's Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative (CFBAI) standards for grain items, with 10 grams of whole grain per serving and a good source of fiber.
• Chewy chocolate peanut butter snack bar, featuring MaizeWise whole grain corn, Oliggo-Fiber chicory root fiber, Wilbur 854 dark protein compound coating and Wilbur B558 gourmet semisweet chocolate drops, meets CFBAI standards for grain items, is a good source of fiber, and is also made with 11 grams of whole grain and 5 grams of protein per serving. It offers on-the-go nutrition that kids will enjoy.
• Sour tropical punch snack puffs, featuring MaizeWise whole grain corn flour, is a fun and tasty snack that meets CFBAI standards for grain items and contains 10 grams of whole grain per serving.
• Peanut butter spread, featuring Oliggo-Fiber chicory root fiber, is a kid approved sandwich filling or snack that meets CFBAI standards for nut butters and spreads and is a good source of fiber.
• Reduced sodium sausage pizza poppers made with whole grain, featuring FlakeSelect potassium chloride, Prolia soy flour and Horizon Milling.
• WheatSelect white spring whole wheat flour, meets CFBAI standards for mixed dishes and contains 40% less sodium per serving than regular sausage pizza and 22 grams of whole grain.
• Turkey sliders on a whole grain-rich bun, featuring Cargill's Harvest Provisions turkey pot roast on a bun featuring Horizon Milling WheatSelect white spring whole wheat flour, MaizeWise whole grain corn flour and TransEnd shortening, contribute to USDA school lunch requirements by providing one meat equivalent, one bread equivalent and half a serving of whole grain (8 grams) per slider.
• Apple berry sparkling juice drink, featuring Truvia stevia leaf extract, is naturally sweetened with no added sugars and meets CFBAI standards for juice items.
• Reduced sugar chocolate milk, featuring Truvia stevia leaf extract and Gerkens 10/12 Russet Plus cocoa powder, meets CFBAI standards for dairy milk, with 25% less sugar than regular chocolate milk.
Cargill is an international producer and marketer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. Founded in 1865, the privately held company employs 142,000 people in 65 countries. Cargill helps customers succeed through collaboration and innovation, and is committed to applying its global knowledge and experience to help meet economic, environmental and social challenges wherever it does business. For more information, visit Cargill.com and its news center.