ORLANDO, Fla.-All Star Dairy Association, Inc., recognized member dairies at its 48th annual convention at the Orlando Marriott World Center.
More than 300 persons attended the convention March 15-18, which featured a presentation from Save-A-Lot Foods, Professor Marianne Jennings of ASU covering "Business Ethics" and Pat Williams, executive v.p. of the NBA Orlando Magic. Other subjects covered were lowering health insurance costs, distribution savings, current regulation changes, major commodity updates and projections, and cost benchmarks.
Newly elected board members are Brian Perry, Perry's Ice Cream; Novile Ramsey, Milkco, Inc.; Richard Washburn, Washburn's Ice Cream; and Richard Shehadey, Producers Dairy.
The association was started in 1955, and has 190 member companies representing 289 plants in 45 states, Puerto Rico, and Nova Scotia.
- Christie Collins of Milkco, Inc., Asheville, N.C., at Clemson University.
- Angela Kooiker of Well's Dairy, LeMars, Iowa, at South Dakota State.
- Shawn Byrne of Byrne Dairy, Syracuse, N.Y., at Cornell University.
- Allan Gillis of Scotsburn Dairy, Scotsburn, Nova Scotia, at Cape Briton University.
- Carolyn Sparks of Louis Trauth Dairy, at Miami University of Ohio.
All Star Dairy 2006 Awards
- Dairy of the Year Award
- Southwest Foods, Tyler, Texas. Jim Pitner, Mike Giles and Hugo Fraga accepted.
- Purchasing Award (large company)
- Readington Farms Dairy, Whitehouse, N.J. Larry Kurz accepted.
- Purchasing Award (small company)
- Jilbert's Dairy, Marquette, Mich. Jason Jilbert accepted.
Quality Assurance Awards
- Best Fluid Plant
- Southwest Foods, Mike Giles accepted.
- Best Culture Plant
- Louis Trauth Dairy, Newport, Ky., Steve Trauth accepted.
- Best Ice Cream Plant (Tied)
- Louis Trauth Dairy, Steve Trauth accepted
- Southwest Foods, Hugo Fraga accepted.
- "Doc Lawrence" Most Improved Plant
- Schneider Dairy, Pittsburgh, Bill Schneider, Jr. accepted.
- "Thoroughbred Award" Supplier of the Year
- Exxon Mobil, Houston. Dave Sellers and Verl Heeke accepted.