Food and beverage processors find inspiration everywhere, including in traditional Southern desserts and bartenders. Dairy Foodscompiled the following list of dairy, frozen dessert and beverage launched so far this year.
Honeysuckle Gelato turned to the flavors and desserts of the South for inspiration. Sold in pints, its new gelato is available in sea-salted caramel, dark chocolate, espresso, bourbon pecan, honey fig, banana with peanut butter caramel, mango-peach sorbet and watermelon sorbet.
Other dairy processors also use fruits, as well as vegetables and chocolate in frozen desserts. At the Expo West trade show in March, Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt introduced five new flavors: Mint Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter Cup, Chocolate Fudge, Dark Chocolate Raspberry and Sea Salt Caramel.
In February, Nestle’s Dreyer’s/Edy’s Outshine fruit bars brand launched a line of frozen fruit bars that combines fruit and vegetable ingredients. Flavors are Blueberry Medley, Tangerine Carrot, Apple and Greens, Peach Mango Medley and Strawberry Rhubarb.
Ben & Jerry’s (Unilever) added four new core flavors to its ice cream offerings. They are:
- Hazed & Confused: Chocolate & Hazelnut Ice Creams with Fudge Chips and a Hazelnut Fudge Core
- That’s My Jam: Raspberry & Chocolate Ice Creams with Fudge Chips and a Raspberry Core
- Peanut Butter Fudge: Chocolate & Peanut Butter Ice Creams with mini Peanut Butter Cups and a Peanut Butter Fudge Core
- Salted Caramel: Sweet Cream Ice Cream with Blonde Brownies and a Salty Caramel Core
In the cultured dairy food and beverage categories, food processors used fruits, chocolate and nuts. Ehrmann USA’s Mixim Greek yogurt line, packaged in a heart-shaped container, offers Greek yogurt in various topping combinations:
- Cherry and chocolate curls; raspberry with dark and white chocolate curls
- Mango pineapple with coconut & almonds; honey with coconut & almonds
- Strawberries with granola; blackberry pomegranate with granola & dried fruits
GlenOaks Farms is making lactose-free Greek drinkable yogurts in strawberry, peach and raspberry flavors.
The Easter season spawns jelly bean-flavored milk. Hiland Dairy released three flavored milks inspired by Easter: Jelly Bean, Chocolate Marshmallow and Easter EggNog. Dean Foods is selling a limited-time TruMoo Chocolate Marshmallow milk.
At Expo West, Co Yo USA exhibited mango, mixed berry and chocolate flavors of its nondairy yogurt analog. Flavors of the nondairy Pirate Energy Shots from Paradise Beverage were inspired by popular cocktails: margarita, mojito, pina colada, hurricane and pirate punch.