Dairy processors pack up for Chicago
Pack Expo, with 1,800 suppliers, is an ideal opportunity for dairy processors to find out the latest in packaging trends and technology. The show begins Oct. 28 in Chicago.
At Pack Expo 2012 dairy processors can find out the latest trends and technology in the processing and packaging industry with this comprehensive event.
Hosted by PMMI, Reston, Va., Pack Expo 2012 takes place Oct. 28-31 in Chicago’s McCormick Place. This event brings together more than 46,000 attendees from all over the globe and 1,800-plus suppliers, showcasing state-of-the-art materials, machinery and methods for packaging and processing in every market.
The expo comprises more than 1.1 million square feet of exhibit space (the largest Pack Expo show floor since 2002, according to PMMI) featuring:
• Integrated processing-packaging solutions, dramatically improving efficiency and flexibility
• Breakthrough technology, providing a platform for next-generation product development
• On-site demonstrations, where buyers can see machinery in action to evaluate its compatibility, adaptability and ease of operation
• Revolutionary product launches, opening new possibilities for improved safety, security, sustainability and cost savings
This year attendees can network with peers and partners at industry-specific lounge areas — the Beverage Cooler (new this year), the Baking-Snack Break, the Candy Bar and the Rx Lounge — which feature ask-the-expert forums. As an extension of the new Beverage Cooler lounge area (which is sponsored by the ISBT), PMMI is launching the Beverage Connected Community, an online forum where the beverage industry can connect and continue their show experience. Connected communities already exist for the pharmaceutical, confectionery, and baking and snack markets, as well as the general packaging and processing communities.
For even more focus in specific markets the expo features designated pavilion areas where buyers can find solutions aimed directly at their industry. Those pavilions are: the Processing Zone, the Brand Zone, the Pharmaceutical Pavilion, the Confectionery Pavilion and the Reusable Packaging Pavilion.
The show offers educational opportunities in several areas of interest, including food safety. The Food Safety Summit Resource Center at the expo will offer scheduled presentations in the theater area and one-on-one meetings with experts to discuss important food safety issues. The Food Safety Summit Resource Center will be located in booth #7748 in the Processing Zone in the Lakeside Center.
The conference at Pack Expo runs concurrently with the Pack Expo International, it will include in-depth discussions on several topics including: food safety/product security, sustainability/packaging materials, focus on the future – trends and innovations, beverage, and manufacturing solutions. It will also feature speakers with representatives from top companies, such as Kraft Foods, Nestle and General Mills.
As part of the conference, PMMI has partnered with these six leading industry associations to offer attendees professional development and business insight opportunities:
• Alliance for Innovation & Operational Excellence (AIOE)
• Association for Automatic Identification and Mobility (AIM)
• Institute of Packaging Professionals (IoPP)
• International Society of Beverage Technologists (ISBT)
• Packaging Association of Canada (PAC)
• PMMI U
• Reusable Packaging Association (RPA)
Some of the must-see seminars of the conference are:
• PET Packaging for Beverages - Current state-of-the-art and what factors will drive future commercialization, presented by ISBT — Monday, Oct. 29 from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
• The journey to sustainability excellence, presented by AIOE — Monday, Oct. 29 from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
• Introduction to flexible packaging for beverages, presented by ISBT — Monday, Oct. 29 from 9:45 a.m. to 10:45 a.m.
• How FSMA is affecting CPG companies and what equipment manufacturers can do about it, presented by AIOE — Monday, Oct. 29 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• IFS PACsecure, HACCP-based Packaging Food Safety Standard for packaging converters — Monday, Oct. 29 from 12:15 p.m. to 1:15 p.m.
• HACCP/Hazard Analysis: Deliver food safely through packaging, presented by IoPP — Tuesday, Oct. 30 from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
• Packaging sustainability and the food value chain, presented by IoPP — Tuesday, Oct. 30 from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
• Marketing-Operations Conflicts: The costs in package development, and how to avoid the waste, presented by IoPP — Wednesday, Oct. 31 from 2:45 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.
As part of the conference lecture series, comedian Dennis Miller and political consultant James Carville will be speaking Sunday, Oct. 28, at 5:15 p.m.; tickets are $125 or a discount price of $1000 for 10 tickets.
Also held in conjunction with the Pack Expo, the Packaging Hall of Fame induction ceremony will be held Tuesday, Oct. 30, from 5:15 to 7:00 p.m., at the Hyatt Regency McCormick Place hotel. The Packaging Hall of Fame recognizes career packaging professionals for their contributions to the industry and packaging education. The honor, which PMMI coordinates, has been presented annually since 1971.
Attendees who register for the expo before Oct. 8 will save 50% on admission.
For exhibitor and attendee information, travel arrangements, directions, registration links and more, go to www.packexpo.com.
2012 Packaging Hall of Fame inductees
• Curtis Babb, MillerCoors (retired)
• Thomas Brady, Plastic Technologies, Inc. (PTI)
• Thomas Dunn, Flexpacknology LLC
• Fred Hayes, Hayes & Associates Inc.
• Hershey and Bernie Lerner, Automated Packaging Systems
• Nick Wilson, Morrison Container Handling Solutions