November 1, 2007
• London-based Tate & Lyle has opened a satellite research and development facility in Shanghai, China. The technical service and research team in Shanghai will initially specialize in dairy, beverage and bakery applications.
• This year Erlanger, Ky.-based Wild Flavors Inc. bought more than 40 acres of land encompassing its new 115,000-square-foot, multimillion-dollar facility to increase space and capabilities for laboratories, offices and supply-chain functions.
• Agilex Flavors & Fragrances has been formed through the integration of the New Jersey-based Flavor and Fragrance Group Industries Inc. and six of its operating companies: AromaTech; International Fragrance & Technology; Technology Flavors & Fragrances; Key Essentials; FlavorSource; and Western Flavors & Fragrances.
• Burning fat while you sleep may be more than just a sweet dream, according to a Tonalin CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) study published in a recent issue of American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. The double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study was designed to investigate the physiologic mechanism responsible for the CLA-related loss in body fat. Cognis’ Tonalin CLA is derived from natural safflower oil, is stimulant-free, and is the most clinically tested CLA on the market. Research shows that Tonalin CLA helps reduce body fat mass and offers long-term health benefits, especially for yo-yo dieters.
• National Starch Food Innovation, a business unit of National Starch and Chemical Co., broke ground on its state-of-the-art Texture Center of Excellence. Scheduled to be operational in 2008, the multimillion-dollar center will be located at National Starch’s global headquarters in Bridgewater, N.J.
• Orafti Active Food Ingredients’ new large-scale production facility in Chile is now up and running, supplying prebiotics in both powdered and liquid syrup forms to the North American and South American markets.