Country Profile: Ice cream in the US
- Single User License: Allows the person purchasing the report and that person alone to view and use the report
- Site License: Allows the person purchasing the report and any colleagues that work in the same building for the same organization to view and use the report
- EnterpriseLicense: Allows the person purchasing the report and any colleague within the same organization to view and use the report regardless of location
Published June 2018
The ice cream sector in the US is led by the ‘take-home and bulk ice cream’ category in both value and volume terms. Furthermore, the ‘take-home and bulk ice cream’ category is also expected to register the fastest growth in both value and volume terms, during 2017-2022. Hypermarkets & supermarkets accounted for the leading share in the distribution of ice cream products in the country. Rigid plastics is the most commonly used package material, followed by paper & board. Blue Bell Creameries, Wells Enterprises, Inc. and Unilever are the leading market players in the US ice cream sector.
GlobalData’s Country Profile report on the Ice cream sector in the US provides insights on high growth categories to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
What else is contained?
- Sector data: Overall sector value and volume data with growth analysis for 2012-2022
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for artisanal ice cream, impulse ice cream - single serve, and take-home and bulk ice cream with inputs on individual segment share within each category and the change in their market share forecast for 2017-2022
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels in value terms in 2017
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each category through distribution channels such as hypermarkets & supermarkets, food & drinks specialists, convenience stores, "dollar stores", variety stores & general merchandise retailers, and others
- Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each category, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Pack material data for flexible packaging, paper & board, rigid metal and others; pack type data for: box, film, tub, wrapper and bag/sachet.
- The per capita consumption of ice cream is higher in the US compared to global and regional levels in 2017
- Per capita consumption of ‘take-home and bulk ice cream’ is higher when compared to other ice cream products in the US
- Hypermarkets & supermarkets is the leading distribution channel in the US ice cream sector
- Rigid plastics is the most commonly used pack material in the US ice cream sector
- Older consumers account for the leading share in the consumption of ice cream in the US.
Reasons to buy
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as real GDP, nominal GDP, consumer price index, household consumption expenditure, population (by age group, gender, rural-urban split, and employed people and unemployment rate. It also includes economic summary of the country along with labor market and demographic trends.
Table of Contents:
The US in the global and regional context
The US in the global and North America ice cream sector
The US compared to Canada in North America
Per capita consumption and expenditure - The US compared to North America and global levels
Sector analysis - ice cream
Country snapshot - ice cream sector in the US
Value and volume analysis - ice cream sector in the US
Cross category comparison - value and growth rate
Change in category share by value
Cross category comparison - volume and growth rate
Change in category share by volume
Per capita consumption analysis by category
Category analysis: artisanal ice cream
Category analysis: impulse ice cream - single serve
Segment analysis (in value and volume terms): impulse ice cream - single serve
Category analysis: take-home and bulk ice cream
Segment analysis (in value and volume terms): take-home and bulk ice cream
Distribution channel share analysis: ice cream
Distribution channel share analysis by category
Brand share analysis by sector
Brand share analysis by category
Private label share analysis by category
Growth of private labels compared to branded products
Degree of consolidation/fragmentation by category
Health & wellness
Health & wellness trend analysis
Health & wellness market analysis by product attribute
Health & wellness market analysis by consumer benefit
Category comparison - with health & wellness and without health & wellness claims
Primary outer type
Economic summary, labor market trends, and demographic trends
GlobalData country risk index (GCRI)
Once purchased your report will be sent to you electronically via email. Please allow 1-2 business days for arrival.
Returns or Refunds - The electronic format and type of information provided by GlobalData is such that GlobalData cannot accept returns of products once they have been dispatched. Refunds will only be considered where the product does not accurately reflect what is being advertised. Refunds may occasionally be offered at the discretion of the management.