Home » Store » Books » Dairy Processing and Quality Assurance, 2nd Edition
Dairy Processing and Quality Assurance, 2nd Edition
Dairy Processing and Quality Assurance, Second Editiondescribes the processing and manufacturing stages of market milk and major dairy products, from the receipt of raw materials to the packaging of the products, including the quality assurance aspects.
The book begins with an overview of the dairy industry, dairy production and consumption trends. Next are discussions related to chemical, physical and functional properties of milk; microbiological considerations involved in milk processing; regulatory compliance; transportation to processing plants; and the ingredients used in manufacture of dairy products. The main section of the book is dedicated to processing and production of fluid milk products; cultured milk including yogurt; butter and spreads; cheese; evaporated and condensed milk; dry milks; whey and whey products; ice cream and frozen desserts; chilled dairy desserts; nutrition and health; sensory evaluation; new product development strategies; packaging systems; non-thermal preservation technologies; safety and quality management systems; and dairy laboratory analytical techniques.
This fully revised and updated edition highlights the developments which have taken place in the dairy industry since 2008. The book notably includes:
New regulatory developments
The latest market trends
New processing developments, particularly with regard to yogurt and cheese products
Functional aspects of probiotics, prebiotics and synbiotics
A new chapter on the sensory evaluation of dairy products
Intended for professionals in the dairy industry,Dairy Processing and Quality Assurance, Second Edition, will also appeal to researchers, educators and students of dairy science for its contemporary information and experience-based applications.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Ramesh C. Chandan, Ph.D., a consultant in dairy science and technology, served for more than 40 years in various food companies, including Unilever, Land O'Lakes and General Mills, with special expertise in the manufacture of dairy products. He has served on the faculty of Michigan State University and has taught dairy technology courses for seven years. He has authored/edited nine other books in the area of dairy food science.
Arun Kilara, Ph.D., has long established expertise in teaching and research in dairy food science at Penn State University. He has authored/edited five books related to dairy food science.
Nagendra P. Shah, Ph.D., a Professor at the University of Hong Kong is very well known for his contribution in Dairy Technology area. He has served on the Faculty of Victoria University, Melbourne, Australia for 22 years.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Preface to the Second Edition, ix
Preface to the First Edition, xi
1. Dairy Processing and Quality Assurance: An Overview, 1 Ramesh C. Chandan
2. Dairy Industry: Production and Consumption Trends, 41 Ramesh C. Chandan
3. Mammary Gland and Milk Biosynthesis: Nature’s Virtual Bioprocessing Factory, 60 Ramesh C. Chandan, Dilip A. Patel, Raul A. Almeida, and Stephen P. Oliver
4. Chemical Composition, Physical, and Functional Properties of Milk and Milk Ingredients, 77 Kasipathy Kailasapathy
5. Microbiological Considerations Related to Dairy Processing, 106 Ronald H. Schmidt
6. Regulations for Product Standards and Labeling, 152 Cary P. Frye and Arun Kilara
7. Milk from Farm to Plant, 178 Cary P. Frye and Arun Kilara
8. Dairy-Based Ingredients, 197 Ramesh C. Chandan and Arun Kilara
9. Fluid Milk Products, 220 John Partridge
10. Cultured Milk and Yogurt, 235 Nagendra P. Shah and Claude P. Champagne
11. Butter and Fat Spreads: Manufacture and Quality Assurance, 266 Ashok A. Patel, Prateek Sharma, and Hasmukh Patel
12. Cheese, 287 Donald J. McMahon and Maria Brym
13. Evaporated and Sweetened Condensed Milks, 310 Prateek Sharma, Hasmukh Patel, and Ashok Patel
14. Dry Milk Products, 333 Pranav K. Singh and Harjinder Singh
15. Whey and Whey Products, 349 Arun Kilara
16. Ice Cream and Frozen Desserts, 367 Arun Kilara and Ramesh C. Chandan
17. Puddings and Dairy-Based Desserts, 397 Ramesh C. Chandan and Arun Kilara
18. Role of Milk and Dairy Foods in Nutrition and Health, 428 Ramesh C. Chandan
19. Sensory Evaluation of Milk and Milk Products, 467 Valente B. Alvarez
20. Product Development Strategies, 488 Vijay Kumar Mishra
21. Packaging Milk and Milk Products, 506 Aaron L. Brody
22. Potential Applications of Nonthermal Processing Technologies in the Dairy Industry, 528 Hasmukh A. Patel, Tim Carroll, and Alan L. Kelly
23. Management Systems for Safety and Quality, 553 Dilip Patel, Stephen P. Oliver, Raul A. Almeida, and Ebenezer R. Vedamuthu
24. Laboratory Analysis of Milk and Dairy Products, 600 C. T. Deibel and R. H. Deibel