Harbison named Best American Cheese at World Cheese Awards
The cheese is from Cellars at Jasper Hill in Vermont.
Harbison from Cellars at Jasper Hill, Greensboro Bend, Vt., was named the Best American Cheese at the 31st annual World Cheese Awards, according The Guild of Fine Food, which hosts the awards. The judging for the 2018 awards took place on Nov. 2 in Bergen, Norway. The 2018 awards program brought in a record 3,472 entries.
Fanaost from Norweigian cheesemaker Ostegåarden was named World Champion Cheese 2018. The aged Gouda “stood out at every stage of the blind tasting process,” The Guild of Fine Food said.
In addition to the Harbison cheese, seven other U.S. cheeses took home coveted Super Gold awards. They include:
- Bloomsdale from Baetje Farms, Bloomsdale, Mo.
- Cave Aged Marisa from Carr Valley Cheese, La Valle, Wis.
- Everton Premium Reserve from Jacobs and Brichford Farmstead Cheese, Connersville, Ind.
- Fromage Blanc from Cypress Grove, Arcata, Calif.
- Lionza from Fiscalini Cheese Co., Modesto, Calif.
- Midnight Moon from Cypress Grove, Arcata, Calif.
- Montchevre Kiss My Ash from Saputo Cheese USA, Lincolnshire, Ill.
U.S. cheeses also received 25 Gold, 24 Silver and 32 Bronze awards, The Guild of Fine Food said. A complete list of winners, including international winners, is available at https://gff.co.uk/awards/world-cheese-awards/.