• East Greenville, Pa.-based Blommer Chocolate, North America’s largest processor of cocoa beans and ingredient chocolate products, says its sustainable farming program in Sulawesi, Indonesia, is approaching its second anniversary and expects to reach up to 20,000 cocoa farmers in 2007. The program builds on the technical skills learned in the farmer field school initiatives developed by the World Cocoa Foundation by providing additional technical education, pricing incentives, and global market access to farmers.
• Zurich, Switzerland-based Barry Callebaut has opened its North American headquarters office in Chicago.
• Milk is twice as effective in rebuilding muscles as soymilk after a workout, according to The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Recent research points to two groups of young men who lift weights, one group drank skim milk while the other drank soymilk. After a 10-week period, the men who drank skim milk produced twice as much muscle mass. Nutritionists recommend active people drink about two 8-ounce cups of skim milk after exercising for best results.
• In-depth presentations on a “real-world” approach to formulating products for organics will be featured at the 90th Annual Convention of the National Association of Flavors and Food-Ingredient Systems, scheduled for October 18 to 21 at The Resort at Longboat Key Club, Longboat Key, Fla. The program kicks off with presentations addressing formulation issues, consumer trends, organic versus natural, certification and regulation, supply side and fair trade.
• Scientific representatives from the global dairy industry recently met to review the latest research on milkfat and to discuss strategies to achieve a more balanced view of milkfat by consumers and health professionals. The workshop, organized in April by Global Dairy Platform in Rosemont, Ill., featured presentations on the current state of milkfat research with emphasis on cardiovascular disease risk factors. The outcome was a wide-ranging strategic plan that aims to improve milkfat’s perception.$OMN_arttitle="R&D News";?> $OMN_artauthor="";?>