• Sentrex Ingredients, Linden N.J., has been certified organic by the Oregon Tilth Co., and is also accredited with the Star-K Kosher certification. The company, which began a year ago, manufactures premium vanilla extracts and processes organic vanilla beans, extracts and concentrates.
• Minneapolis-based Cargill has launched a new resource for technical and market specialists in the food industry. The Web site, www.cargilltexturizing.com, provides a wealth of technical insight and application knowledge tailored to the needs of food specialists worldwide. Cargill Texturizing Solutions offers a range of texturizing ingredients and functional systems
• Nelson-Jameson, Marshfield, Wis., has added Continental Ingredients’ snack and specialty seasonings to its current line of food flavors and ingredients. Continental Ingredients specializes in the design and application of functional food ingredient systems for processed foods, beverages and dairy products. Customers will benefit from services that include development, formulation, technical support and manufacturing consultations for most food applications. The addition of this line of savory flavors includes formulations for sour cream dips, cream cheese, cottage cheese, cheese shreds and flavored butters.
• Wixon Inc. officially kicked off its centennial celebrations with the unveiling of a 100th anniversary banner on the front of its headquarters in St. Francis, Wis. “100 Years and We’re Just Getting Started” is the theme for the yearlong events slated to celebrate the company’s spice, flavor and food technologies.
• Research published in the British Journal of Nutrition suggests that inulin and oligofructose have important heart-health properties. The study, in mice with a predisposition to heart disease, showed that diets supplemented with Orafti Group’s Beneo Synergy1 or Beneo HP inhibited the build-up of fatty deposits in the animals’ arteries. Belgium-based Orafti has its U.S. headquarters in Malvern, Pa.$OMN_arttitle="R&D News";?> $OMN_artauthor="";?>