Marketers of dairy desserts key into the upcoming Valentine’s Day holiday in this week’s free-standing inserts. Kahala Corp.’s Cold Stone Creamery shows a heart-shaped chocolate and strawberry ice cream cake. Schwan Food Co. touts its Edwards frozen desserts, made with ice cream, while Sara Lee Corp. pictures a slice of cheesecake under the headline "You are the sunshine of my life, Sweet love that always goes around . . .".
FSI REPORT for the week beginning Feb. 6 2011
In the dairy spreads category:
- Kraft asks shoppers to "Enjoy a smidge of schmear" of its Philadelphia cream cheese, available in four-pack mini SKUs.
- Land O Lakes touts the clean label of its spreadable butter products with the headline "3 Ingredients. Simply Delicious." The foods are made with sweet cream, canola oil or olive oil, and salt. The FSI directs readers online to redeem a coupon for a free SKU with purchase of one package. Land O Lakes also touts its affiliation with Box Tops For Education.
- McNeil Nutritionals promotes the cholesterol-reducing properties of its Benecol "buttery-tasting spread" and presents a $2 coupon for any SKU available "in the dairy case."
In other dairy-related activity this week:
- Lactalis Retail Dairy’s Sorrento brand uses a quick-response (QR) code that when photographed with a smart phone launches a video recipe by celebrity chef and cookbook author Daniel Green.
- Nestle’s Stouffer’s recommends its Stuffed Melt and Soup SKUs which include Steak & Swiss with broccoli cheddar soup. Stouffer’s directs shoppers to its Facebook page where it is awarding 10,000 coupons (valued up to $3.69 each) in a "free lunch" promotion.
- Starbucks plugs its Frappuccino light coffee and milk beverage.
- Dean Foods’ WhiteWave Foods unit states its Silk nondairy milks now contain 10 fewer calories and directs shoppers to its website to receive recipes and coupons.
See all the free-standing inserts mentioned in this report in the Dairy FSIs photo album on the Dairy Foods Facebook page.