• Financially Troubled coolbrands International Inc. has Sold its Eskimo pie and Chipwich Brands, Real Fruit Trademark and Eskimo pie Soft-serve and Foodservice Business to dreyer’s Grand ice Cream Inc., the Oakland, Calif.-based Unit of nestlé Sa, for $18.9 Million. net Proceeds From the Sale Were Used to Repay Debt and for Working Capital Purposes. Sugar Creek Foods Inc., a Subsidiary of Canada-based Coolbrands, has Entered Into a Co-packing Agreement With Dreyer’s to Manufacture Soft-serve Yogurt and ice Cream for up to Nine Months.
• Kansas City, Mo.-based Dairy Farmers of America Inc. (DFA) has instituted mySecurity, a voluntary information and awareness program aimed to help members increase their on-farm security. The program was developed for DFA members who want the latest industry updates, techniques, tools and strategies pertaining to on-farm biosecurity, product and farm safety; and family and farm emergency action plans. For more information, visit www.dfamilk.com.
• Rocky Hill, Conn.-based Carvel Ice Cream Corp. and Cinnabon Inc. have opened their latest international co-brand unit, located in Amman, Jordan’s Gateway Mall. “We’ve owned and operated Cinnabon bakeries for four years, but this is the first time we’ve added Carvel to the mix,” says Ahmad Tantash, president of Jana for Restaurants’ Management PSC, Cinnabon and Carvel’s franchise partner in Jordan. Tantash’s organization currently has seven Cinnabon bakeries and plans to open three more, along with five additional Carvel locations in Jordan by 2008.
• Johanna Foods Inc., Flemington, N.J., has announced it will acquire the refrigerated orange juice and chilled beverage business from Olympic Foods Inc., Spokane, Wash.
• Jim McMullen has stepped down from his post as president and chief executive officer of Tillamook, Ore.-based Tillamook County Creamery Association (TCCA). The TCCA board has begun a national search for his replacement. In the meantime, McMullen, who became CEO in 2002, will continue working with TCCA in a consulting role. Cliff Brady, vice president of operations and chief operating officer, has been named interim CEO.
• The 2006 edition of Dairy Facts, published by Washington, D.C.-based International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) and Dairy Field magazine, is now available for purchase. The 150-page booklet provides a comprehensive overview of 2005 sales, consumption and production data for the dairy foods industry, as well as some 2006 figures, to offer an excellent summary of the overall health of the U.S. dairy industry and dairy trends. For complete ordering information, visit www.idfa.org.$OMN_arttitle="News Wire";?> $OMN_artauthor="";?>