- DAIRY PRODUCTS
- WEB EXCLUSIVES
- Calendar of Events
- Market Research
- Dairy 100
- Dairy Foods Store
- FISA Distributor Guide
- Supplier Spotlights
- Custom Content & Marketing Services
- State of the Industry Report
- Sister Publications
By the Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP)
MilkPEP (Milk Processor Education Program), Washington, D.C., announced the five winners of its Breakfast Blitz Display Contest, which was part of MilkPEP’s first-ever integrated campaign using the Big Game as a platform to deliver the breakfast at home with milk message to consumers and retailers. The results generated by the winning processor entries showcased the success of the breakfast-at-home strategy in selling more milk as well as other complimentary breakfast products, including eggs, bacon, cereal and English muffins. When milk was featured in a display alongside those other items, the retailers reported notable increases.
The Breakfast at Home messaging resonates with shoppers as more and more Americans are recognizing the importance of the breakfast meal in their overall health and wellness. The displays were effective in promoting milk as the centerpiece of breakfast while giving shoppers ideas for easy breakfast meal solutions.
The winners, who each won a $500 gift card for their successful retail displays, are:
- Joanne Heredia, Producers Dairy (QuikStop), Denair, CA,10% sales increase on the day of the Breakfast Blitz Kick-Off over the same period of the prior year
- Mari Hicks, Kemps LLC (3 Hy-Vees), Albert Lea, MN, 500% increase; Fairmont, MN, 53.4% increase; Austin, MN, 563% increase over the same week of the prior year
- Amanda Williams, Tuscan Dairy/Dean Foods (16 New York-based King Kullens), Increases ranged from 1.4% to 19% over the same week of the prior year
- Tom Cefaratti, Borden Dairy (29 Fresh Encounters in OH and IN), 53% average increase over the same 4 ½ week period of the prior year
- JC Montenegro, Hygeia Dairy/Dean Foods (2 Walmarts in Corpus Christi and Beeville, TX), 21% average increase over the same two-week period of the prior year
In addition to the five contest winners, MilkPEP also awarded a special prize to Betsy Dudenhoeffer of Prairie Farms for the highest percentage increase. Her two-week display in a Hy-Vee store generated a 909% sales increase. In addition, Producers Dairy was awarded a prize for being the processor with the most retail displays.
“While the football playoff season and the Big Game are peak retail opportunities, there is typically not a lot of action at the milk case,” said Melissa Malcolm, Field Marketing Manager for MilkPEP. “The Breakfast Blitz Display Contest, along with MilkPEP’s other Breakfast Blitz promotional activities, spurred processors to work closely with their retailers to get involved with this sales-driving opportunity.”
To learn more about the winners of the Breakfast Blitz Display Contest as well as MilkPEP’s Awards program, visit MilkPEP.org.
About the Contest
The key criteria used in the selection of the Breakfast Blitz Display Contest winners was creativity in designing the display, sales results generated, and the use of messaging centered on breakfast with milk. The display had to be kept up for at least one week during the Breakfast Blitz promotional period.