- DAIRY PRODUCTS
- WEB EXCLUSIVES
The Science of Chocolate Milk
Athletes and coaches alike are recognizing the benefits of refueling with lowfat chocolate milk. Nick Folker, USA Swimming Trainer and Head Strength and Conditioning Coach at the University of California, makes chocolate milk a staple on the training menu of his swimmers.
"Lowfat chocolate milk delivers the things my athletes really need to recover so they can get the most out of their next workout," said Folker. "It has the right carb to protein ratio scientifically shown to help the body recover, high-quality protein to help repair muscles and fluids and electrolytes to replenish what's lost in sweat. It's so simple, plus it tastes great!"
A growing body of research supports chocolate milk's recovery benefits after strenuous exercise. Most recently, a study published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise suggests that recovering with chocolate milk can give runners a performance edge. Researchers from Connecticut State University, University of Connecticut and Eastern Michigan University, found that when recreational runners drank fat free chocolate milk after a strenuous run, they ran 23 percent longer during a subsequent exercise bout later that day and had a 38 percent increase in markers of muscle building compared to when they drank a carbohydrate-only sports beverage with the same amount of calories.(See Lunn WR, Pasiakos SM, Colletto MR, Karfonta KE, Carbone JW, Anderson JM, Rodriguez NR. "Chocolate milk & endurance exercise recovery: protein balance, glycogen and performance. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise." 2011.)
The Official Refuel Beverage of Athletes Everywhere
Through a variety of initiatives – and with the help of elite athletes, their trainers and sports dietitians – the "my After" campaign will reach active adults who are serious about their sports to educate them about the importance of recovering effectively:
• As the Official Refuel Beverage of the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series, Ironman, USA Swimming, Life Time Run, and the Challenged Athletes Foundation®, the REFUEL | "got chocolate milk?" campaign will refuel athletes at endurance races, swim meets, charity races and health clubs nationwide.
• Exclusive online training videos give an inside look into the after-workout rituals of many elite athletes.
• Athletes everywhere will have a chance to join Team REFUEL and get sponsored by showcasing their Afters by creating and submitting a video to gotchocolatemilk.com or at participating Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series or Ironman and Ironman 70.3® races. Online votes will decide which five athletes each month will receive a $500 sponsorship, training gear plus the chance to star in their own "my AFTER" ad or race at Rock 'n' Roll Marathon Series in Europe. For each vote cast, $1 will go to the Challenged Athletes Foundation.
• Through April 30, 2012, athletes can share their After on Facebook to become eligible for daily prizes. Ten daily winners will receive branded athletic apparel, and one grand-prize winner will jet set to a USA Basketball Men's National Team exhibition game.
• The REFUEL | "got chocolate milk?" campaign will host recovery clinics featuring leading sports dietitians and experts to inform athletes about the importance of recovery and the role that lowfat chocolate milk can play. To learn more about the "my After" program, the science behind the recovery benefits of lowfat chocolate milk, and access exclusive training tips and videos, log onto gotchocolatemilk.com, or join the conversation on Facebook/gotchocolatemilk and Twitter @gotchocomilk using #MyAfter.
About the REFUEL | "got chocolate milk?™" Campaign
The Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP), Washington, D.C., is funded by the nation's milk processors, who are committed to increasing fluid milk consumption. The National Fluid Milk Processor Promotion Board, through MilkPEP, runs the REFUEL | "got chocolate milk?™" Campaign, a multi-faceted program designed to educate athletes about the recovery benefits of lowfat chocolate milk after strenuous exercise. Lowfat chocolate milk is simple, effective and scientifically shown to help refuel the body so athletes can perform at their best. It's a natural source of high-quality protein to build lean muscle; it has the right mix of protein and carbs to refuel exhausted muscles; plus fluids and a natural source of electrolytes to rehydrate and help replenish what's lost in sweat. For more information, go to www.gotchocolatemilk.com.